Why Play Recorders?
Maybe, have a listen... "Flanders Recorder Quartet live @ Amuz 2016 Louis Prima, Sing, Sing sing with a swing (1936)
- You can play a tune from scratch in under 30 mins (not as good as in the video, obviously) and feel Really Happy with yourself. Join a group and it gets even better.
- Recorders come in various sizes, not just one - soprano/descant (the one you learned at school), Alto, Tenor, Bass and many more. These people are playing Alto and lower. (Yes, they are all Recorders)
- Most kids don't play the recorder (or any musical instrument) particular well...although there are major exceptions - see Recorder Weekend below
- Most Recorders are portable, affordable, light to carry and easy to learn the notes at any age at any time... but challenging to play well.
- Most are low and mellow and beautiful (Who knew ?)
- Modern plastic instruments can be of higher quality, better value, have better tone, easier to care for and much preferred to many wooden instruments.(Yes, Really) Send me an email if you want to know who to ask.
- Men and women and children of all ages are involved in recorder groups across the world including Australia
- There is hundreds of years of early music written for THE RECORDER, as well as the fabulous modern RECORDER repertoire
- There are so many wonderful Australian Recorder Composers - Z.Clarke, R.Williams, Diaz, Thorn, Tattersall, R.Edwards,Shanahan, Gilmour, Cohen,Kogler, Stisky, Clingan, Bandt to name a few. Apologies for any omission.
Anyway... have a good day.
2021 Brisbane Recorder Events
- Brisbane Recorders Recorder Afternoons 2021
1st Sunday Monthly
Next is Sun 6th June 2-4pm Conducted by Kathleen Williams. See Menu
Tab for further details.
Please note: There is no Sunday afternoon play-in for July because of the
Recorder Winter Weekend in Brisbane
July 2nd-4th 2021
Presenters Zana Clarke from Orpheus Music, Yvette Friend, Kathleen Williams and Deana Dodds
o including a short performance by the Holland Park State School Recorder
Band conducted by their music teacher Warryn James
Sorry, no further registrations can be taken for this event. If you are
interested in a Recorder weekend day school in Nov 2021 please send an
email via the contacts page.
- Toowoomba Players - please leave details on Contacts page to join a local group
This site is a central information source for the Amateur Recorder community in Brisbane and SEQ. There is hundreds of years of music written for the Recorder family of instruments, including the fabulous modern repertoire. It deserves to be played.
What do you want to do?
- play socially or more seriously - see classes menu tab
- find a group - see Monthly afternoons or Other group
- attend a workshop in Qld - see Brisbane July Weekend menu tab
- buy a recorder or a recorder stand
- take lessons
- learn more about the recorder
This site is not intended for the trained or professional musician as there are many other sites dedicated to you - although I will be supporting recorder concerts and performances. Please have a look at the menu and the links page for information.
Send me an email via the Contacts page and please re-visit this site to see what is coming up in the wider recorder community.
Joanne McDiarmid email: firstname.lastname@example.org